Doctor of Philosophy, Creative Writing, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK 2013
• Vestiges of the Vampire: Gothic Influences on Contemporary Lesbian Poetry,
Dr. Wayne Price, supervisor
Master of Education, English Education, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Dance, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX
• Magna Cum Laude
Research Interests / Research Profile
• My most recent research involves finding a theoretical underpinning for my own creative work in poetry. Theories of the monstrous in literature, connected to gender representation, have been a long-time interest, and contributed to my doctoral work. I am also interested in fantasy writing and myth, and the representations of time and space in poetry. I am currently at work on a text that will seek to merge a surreal style of poetry with the format of the prose poem.
Adjunct Professor: University of Tampa
Writing Instructor: Ringling College of Art and Design
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant: University of Aberdeen, School of Language and Literature,
Aberdeen, Scotland 2011- 2013
Lecturer: Hillsborough Community College, Tampa, FL 2006-2010, 2013-2015
Adjunct Instructor: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 2006-2010
Associate Professor: College of Central Florida, Ocala, FL 1995-2005
Areas of Scholarship
· Creative writing – poetry
· Expository writing
· 19th and 20th century British Literature
· Fantasy Literature
· Gothic Fiction
· Gender Representation in Literature
. Theories of the Monstrous in Literature
Community Involvement / Administrative Activity
· Performed in community with dance honorary organization
· Choreographed and performed in first solo undergraduate concert at TCU
· Served as Advisor for Gay/Straight Alliance at College of Central Florida
· Helped organize scholarship pageant for outstanding students
· Completed training for Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator and administered for career guidance
· Served as Artistic director and choreographer for Dance Ensemble
· Participated in National Poetry Month activities and workshops at USF
· Participated in monthly Language and Literature Forum at UA
· Served as Docent at the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, FL
· Modern Language Association
· Association for Scottish Literary Studies
Golden Crown Literary Society
Review of Creating Safe Environments for LGBT Students: A Catholic Schools Perspective by Bayly, Michael J. (2007). NY, NY: Harrington Park Press. in Education Review
‘The Supernatural in the Breton Lai: Sir Orfeo and Sir Launfal.’ Banyan, a literary journal of the University of South Florida, 2007.
‘Behn’s The Widow Ranter.’ The Explicator, winter 2008.
‘Collected Early Poems 1950-1970 by Adrienne Rich’ in Encyclopedia of Jewish American Literature by Gloria L. Cronin and Alan Berger. NY, NY: Facts on File . 2008
‘So Far From the Shire: Psychological Distance and Isolation in The Lord of the Rings.’ Mythlore, 27, Fall/Winter 2008.
‘A Sword of One’s Own: Eowyn as Gender-free Warrior’ in Presentations of the 29th Annual SW/Texas Regional Meeting of the Popular Culture and American Culture Association: Gender by Gypsey Elaine Teague. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholar’s Publishing. 2009
‘The Romance Le Roman de Fergus : a Thirteenth-Century Parody” The International Journal of Humanities, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp. 375-390. Presentations
‘The Function of the Breeches Part in Restoration Theatre.’ University of South Florida English Fall Colloquium 2006.
‘The Supernatural in the Breton Lai: Sir Orfeo and Sir Launfal.’ University of South Florida Banyan Publication Reading, spring 2007.
‘Dog in the Dark.’ USF Poetry and Prints Exhibit, spring 2007.
Poetry Reading. Florida College English Association Conference, fall 2007.
‘A Sword of One’s Own: Eowyn as Gender-free Warrior.’ Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Conference, Feb. 2008.
‘At Least the People are Dirty: A Medievalist’s View of the Film Timeline.’ From Avant-garde to Ultra-violence: First Annual Symposium of Theory in Film, summer 2008.
‘”Speculating Literature” and The Kingis Quair of James I: The Dream Vision Poem as Philosophical Proving Ground’ 2009 Southeastern Medievalist Association Conference.
‘Vestiges of the Vampire: Rediscovering the Monstrous in Contemporary Lesbian Poetry.’ Faculty Presentation Series, Ringling College of Art and Design, 2013-2014.
‘The Evolution of the Lesbian Vampire Character in Fiction and Film.’ 2014 Popular Culture Association Annual Conference.